Sunday, October 19, 2008

Crazy Little Thing Called Love Updated Review

Realized my review a bit too general, here, after watching it the 2nd time, more in depth review based on my own opinions and consistent with myself.

Clementine: Hi, I'm Clementine, can I have a piece of chicken?
Joel: Then you just took it. It was so intimate. It was like we were already lovers.

Generally i felt the 1st act was still the better half among the two. But i think i like to bring about a few more points about the message they are trying to convey via the play.

Joel: If only I could meet someone new. I guess my chances of that happening are somewhat diminished, seeing that I'm incapable of making eye contact with a woman I don't know.

One of the points i totally agree with is how the world views love, as some of us know, love has been distorted since age of old, such as the incident of Sodom and Gomorrah. Devil has used the world standards of love and lure people into his webs of deceit and lies, the never ending spun of his vicious thread that tie people up into forever chasing after a love that cannot endure. One of the play deals with this, a perfectly normal guy walks up and was slowly transformed into something he was not, into something the world wants. It's all good, for awhile, concealing is hard, takes up too much energy and in the end, lies will always be uncovered. I say be proud of who God made you to be, if girls or guys cannot love you for who God made you out to be, i say to they are not worth your love after all! Someone out there will appreciate you, if God says you're ready, then be ready to meet someone to know for the rest of your life. Don't let the world corrupt you with it's dirt and smoke that blinds people to the truth, never ever let the world destroy this crazy little thing called love.

Clementine: Joely?
Joel: Yeah Tangerine?
Clementine: Am I ugly?
Joel: Uh-uh.
Clementine: When I was a kid, I thought I was. I can't believe I'm crying already. Sometimes I think people don't understand how lonely it is to be a kid, like you don't matter. So, I'm eight, and I have these toys, these dolls. My favorite is this ugly girl doll who I call Clementine, and I keep yelling at her, "You can't be ugly! Be pretty!" It's weird, like if I can transform her, I would magically change, too.
Joel: [kisses Clementine] You're pretty.
Clementine: Joely, don't ever leave me.
Joel: You're pretty... you're pretty... pretty...

Second point is that never assume, guys and girls are different, if it wasn't obvious enough, we already have one less bone in our body. Two plays dealt with this, one a comedic approach, another a drama approach, both did excellent. Its just to show that some people aren't the way we make them out to be, that words hurt, words hurt deep and lasting. Can you truly forgive another without remembering it sometime in the future? Mostly no, no no no.
Communication is the way to go, talk to your loved ones, never too late, never too early to start. Put down your pride and talk as if its the last day on earth. Often we assume that the others should know what we think, and that often lead to unhappy endings. Why assume when we can clarify? It takes a lil more effort, but worth more than the teardrops and scars battled into your heart.

[Joel calls Clem on the telephone]
Clementine: What took you so long?
Joel: I just walked in.
Clementine: Do you miss me?
Joel: Oddly enough, I do!
Clementine: You said "I do" - I guess that means we're married!
Joel: I guess so!

Love keeps no record. True, often we find ourselves remembering things that people ought to or ought not to do for us, to us. For what? If Jesus kept every record of our wrongdoings, would we stand? Would He bothered to die on the cross? Do so with people, as much as we bear grudge, and yes i admit, i too do that, and for obvious reasons, you give and give but never receiving, can be disheartening, discouraging, feeling unloved, feeling dejected. But store up treasures in Heaven, love thy neighbor, Easier said than done, but if you can try hard enough to love unconditionally, God will know and in due time, whatever you don't receive here on earth, you will in Heaven as recorded in Book of Hebrews. Don't keep scores, life's too short a lifetime to play catch up or balance the ledger.

Joel: I can't see anything that I don't like about you.
Clementine: But you will! But you will. You know, you will think of things. And I'll get bored with you and feel trapped because that's what happens with me.
Joel: Okay.
Clementine: [pauses] Okay.

Relationships, among families or lovers, needs effort, constant effort. No man is an island. Dare to love and be loved. Yes, hurts and cries will be present, no denying that, but nothing worth having comes easy. If you can, remember all the happy times versus the sad times, does the happy times not outweigh the sad times? Remember how God will be sad too, remember sometimes He allow things to happen for a reason we sometimes don't comprehend. Love is not a happy thing all the time, but if you try, it can be more than you give it credit for.

Clementine: You know me, I'm impulsive.
Joel: That's what I love about you.

Footstool players really was great, top notch acting and professionally done, i was moved a few times, as i felt the emotional struggle portrayed in the play, the vividness seems too real, and it makes you think what the heck you doing on earth? Are we not all born of the human race? Then why are we still self-centered when so many are hurting out there? To quote, "Life is short, death is sure, Jesus the cure." How would people who have not heard of Jesus be cured of their hurts when you are here hanging around with only Christians, and among your own gang you selfishly exploit each other, creating trouble in your own territory? Repent! Solace you can find among your friends and God, but where does it come from those whom you are hanging around with but know not of Jesus? Are their blood on your hands?

Joel: Hi.
Clementine: Hi. Didn't figure you'd show your face around me again. I guess I thought you were... humiliated. You did run away, after all.
Joel: I just needed to see you.
Clementine: Yeah?
Joel: I'd like to, um... take you out, or something.
Clementine: You're married.
Joel: Not yet, not married. No, I'm not married.
Clementine: Look man, I'm telling you right off the bat, I'm high-maintainance, so... I'm not gonna tip-toe around your marriage, or whatever it is you've got goin' there. If you wanna be with me, you're with me.
Joel: Okay.
Clementine: Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them, or I'm gonna make them alive. But I'm just a fucked-up girl who's lookin' for my own peace of mind; don't assign me yours.
Joel: I remember that speech really well.
Clementine: I had you pegged, didn't I?
Joel: You had the whole human race pegged.
Clementine: Hmm. Probably.
Joel: I still thought you were gonna save my life... even after that.
Clementine: Ohhh... I know.
Joel: It would be different, if we could just give it another go-round.
Clementine: Remember me. Try your best; maybe we can.

The 2nd half was as still - emo. But this time round i sat upfront and got to see the actors expressions, especially during their monologues. And i was impressed, the unwaivering in-depth character role-playing, the emotional tone used in their words, the watery eyes, the picture they painted, though emo, i must admit it was good, top notch. I was moved even more in my decision on life. Thank You Lord Jesus.

Mary: How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! / The world forgetting, by the world forgot / Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! / Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.

Footstool players i applaud you and your efforts, i am really interested to join now, though i heard that getting in is hard and training is hard too. Haha, if God leads, maybe i go join =)

God, teach me to love as You have, teach me to accept those that You bring to me. teach me patience, teach me joy, teach me to be like Your Son Jesus. Teach me to love, for if i have not, i gained nothing, i am nothing. Amen.

Joel: [in the house on the beach] I really should go! I've gotta catch my ride.
Clementine: So go.
Joel: I did. I thought maybe you were a nut... but you were exciting.
Clementine: I wish you had stayed.
Joel: I wish I had stayed to. NOW I wish I had stayed. I wish I had done a lot of things. I wish I had... I wish I had stayed. I do.
Clementine: Well I came back downstairs and you were gone!
Joel: I walked out, I walked out the door!
Clementine: Why?
Joel: I don't know. I felt like I was a scared little kid, I was like... it was above my head, I don't know.
Clementine: You were scared?
Joel: Yeah. I thought you knew that about me. I ran back to the bonfire, trying to outrun my humiliation.
Clementine: Was it something I said?
Joel: Yeah, you said "so go." With such disdain, you know?
Clementine: Oh, I'm sorry.
Joel: It's okay.
[Walking Out]
Clementine: Joely? What if you stayed this time?
Joel: I walked out the door. There's no memory left.
Clementine: Come back and make up a good-bye at least. Let's pretend we had one.
[Joel comes back]
Clementine: Bye Joel.
Joel: I love you...
Clementine: Meet me... in Montauk...

=)

1 Corinthians 13

Love
1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with you on the distorted love incident of Sodom and Gomorrah. There was no love at that place. It was protraying mere violence. Those men were raping men. Raping itself is not LOVE. Be it men and men or men and women.

I am Legend said...

dude.. wheres the whole clementine/ joel thing from?