Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Oh My God!...

... is a play i attended with TienMing, Rach, Justin and PapaBing.

Here are my thoughts on it:

- Some of me friends complained say its not nice and all. For me, i thought it was nicely done, the backdrop was nice, wall made with white squares which can be turned to a different color using lighting techniques, each color represents different settings and i think it somehow represents the mood of each scene.

- Noticed everything was white in the play, the furnitures, to the floor, to everything else but the actor's and actress' clothing. To me it represents purity, or what religion strives to present itself as. Since the play was about religion, as the title implies.

- The actor and actresses were pretty good, expressive, though some to me were overly expressive. I must agree with PapaBing that the director quickly used comic relief after every heavy statement on religion, to avoid conflict? or we still conservative in nature?

- In the play, it got me thinking, that religions are religions, what separates one from another? Aren't we in the end all humans and actually are related one way or another? Why then the world treats every one differently, sometimes solely based on religion allegiances. I guess, i was moved by the message that sometimes underneath all the things we wear and masks, we are just a fragile core easily shattered, easily broken.

- Also, another message i think it was trying to give was that why do we hold on to religion so much? to what end? for what purposes? Sometimes, embracing it too much quickly becomes a bad thing, we lose focus on what is important, what is needed, instead we want to be important to people that have no connection to your departure from this temporary world.

- Where do we stand? Are we just being religious to make ourselves feel better? To balance out the darker side of humanity? Things to ponder about, i guess if our motives are wrong in the first place, no different if we say we are followers of God or not.

Objective Review:
- Ok, enough of my own views of the message in the play. Here are some thoughts on the performance itself. (though i may have mixed it in earlier in the section above)
- Worth my money? It was alright, though i think the story could be written clearer and more things added to it, instead it was a bit too much talking, and if you don't know BM, i think a whole chink of it would be useless to you. (not cross-cultural).
- I don't understand why plays need to always make reference to sex or anything related to it. Intentional? I like to see a very witty play without some subtle jokes to sex. I agree it's funny, but only so much, only soooo much.
- As i mentioned, backdrops nice, acting standard quite good. One of the better plays i've seen, to me that is. =)

-Same Difference-

No comments: